Saving Tiny Hearts Society
Smiling. Swinging. Running. Laughing. Playing. Loving. Living.
That's what childhood is all about. In fact, that's what life is all about. I'm fortunate to have captured these moments throughout my life and in my mind, no person should be without any of these in theirs.
It is my dream that each child born into this world has the ability to smile when they're happy, swing at the playground, run through the ball fields, laugh with their friends, play in the park, love one another and simply live their life.
Unfortunately, that is not always possible.
I have been blessed with many amazing opportunities in my life. And sometimes with life, comes challenges. It is how we embrace those challenges together that make us stronger and build our character. One of the biggest challenges in my life
was when my oldest son Jonathan collapsed on the football field. After many intense moments, we learned he had a heart defect that we never even knew existed. It was scary and overwhelming, all at the same time.
At that time, there was something else we never knew existed -- The Saving tiny Hearts Society. That Society gave us hope and made us realize we were not alone. In fact, congenital heart defects are the number one birth defect. The Saving tiny Hearts Society is an entirely volunteer-based organization that was formed for the sole purpose of raising funds for congenital heart defect research.
My dream is to embrace life and appreciate all of its goodness. In doing so, I've joined The Saving tiny Hearts Society team and together we will make sure that every individual in this world can do the same.
Chef Alain Roby
SAVING TINY HEART SOCIETY
The Saving Tiny Hearts Society’s mission is to raise money for grossly under-funded, crucial, life-saving research of congenital heart defects (CHD’s), America’s #1 birth defect. Nearly 1 of every 125 babies born (one every thirteen minutes) in America each year is affected by a Congenital Heart Defect.
The Saving tiny Hearts Society is the only organization in the country that was formed for the sole purpose of raising funds for congenital heart defect research with 100% of general donations going directly to funding this research. There are no paid employees and we are run entirely by dedicated volunteers.
In the 3 years since its inception, the Saving tiny Hearts Society has funded 3 research projects and raised nearly $300,000 and continues to vigorously support the most promising Congenital Heart Defect research.
*** The Saving Tiny Hearts Society has 501(c)(3) tax exempt status and all donations made to our organization are tax deductible as allowed by law.
CONGENITAL HEART DEFECT STATISTICS
(Care of the American Heart Association)
- Congenital heart defects are America’s #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 125 babies is born with a CHD (almost 1% of all children born each year!).
- Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. 1 in 3 children who die from a birth defect have a congenital heart defect.
- This year almost 40,000 babies will be born with a congenital heart defect.
- In the U.S. twice as many children die from congenital heart defects each year than from all forms of childhood cancer combined. Yet funding for research of pediatric cancer is 5 times greater.
- From 1993 to 2003 death rates for congenital heart defects have declined by 31% due to advances made through research!
- There is not yet a preventative cure for any type of congenital heart defect.
- Of every dollar the government spends on medical funding only a fraction of a penny is directed toward congenital heart defect research.